The Faculty of Veterinary Medicine was the first institution to prepare veterinarians in Portugal. It was created by King D. Miguel in 1830 with the decree issued in "Gazeta de Lisboa" on the 7th April. Its first name was “Royal School of Veterinary”.
The veterinary school was fused with the agronomic studies from 1852 to 1910, when it was established as the School of Veterinary Medicine. In 1918 the school was integrated in the university teaching model and named "High School of Veterinary Medicine”. In 1930 along with four more schools, the School of Veterinary Medicine founds the Technical University of Lisbon. Finally in the 1st of August 1989 the school adopts its present name "Faculdade de Medicina Veterinária (FMV)" - Faculty of Veterinary Medicine. In 2013 with the merge between the University of Lisbon and the Technical University of Lisbon the FMV became part of the University of Lisbon (ULisboa), being one of the 18 organic units.
The FMV is thus the oldest Veterinary science education institution in Portugal and heir a rich and prestigious past.