MASTER IN FOOD SAFETY
15TH EDITION // 2022|2024
The Master in Food Safety (MSA) are entitled to exercise a professional activity in the field of procurement systems in food markets with special emphasis on the respective evaluation procedures and quality management, nutrition and safety. This course prepare and develop skills to work in multidisciplinary environments, having as central axis scientific and technical frameworks, legislative and regulatory, applicable to the production, processing and distribution of food.
In our times “Food Security and Safety”, alike ongoing global climate change, is one of the biggest challenges to human survival: without access to safe, nutritious and healthy food in adequate amounts, the progress of mankind is threatened. The concept of Food Security, recognized by FAO, is complex and multifactorial. It not only comprises the physical, social and economic access to food, by everyone at any time in sufficient amounts, but also the safety and nutrient suitability regarded as necessary for a healthy and active life. Participation in this scenario requires a multidisciplinary approach, based on scientific, technic and legal frameworks applicable to the production, transformation and distribution of food, in order to protect the interests of consumers and the Public Health.
The Master study programme in Food Safety (MFS) aims to assure a high-level training in the agri-food area, based on technical knowledge and sustained by scientific investigation, innovation and development. Accordingly, it is intended that the students of the Master’s programme acquire the following capabilities:
- To carry out functions in the area of food quality, especially in food safety;
- To join in multidisciplinary professional teams;
- To communicate with technicians and other staff of the food sector with different educational backgrounds and levels of knowledge;
- To understand and to analyze the issues associated with the production and transformation of food which influence its safety and quality;
- To plan, implement and validate food safety pro-active systems;
- To apply technological and management options and restrictions in order to attain determined levels of quality set by food producing organizations;
- To identify, analyze and evaluate safety and quality problems in a food producing organization according to national and community legal requirements;
- To assess and improve quality control and safety processes taking in to account environmental management issues;
Consequently, the Post graduate in Food Safety or the Master in Food Safety will be fit to practice professional activity in the field of food provisioning systems to the market, with a special emphasis on quality evaluation and management, nutrition and safety procedures.
Applications for the admission to the Master in Food Safety (14th Edition) will take place in two periods for international and national students. The first period will be for international students from 15th JAN to the 30th APR'22. The second period will be, for both communitary (EU) and national students, from 1st MAY till 30th JUN'22.
The Master Science program provides specialised scientific training, allowing for an up to date and efficient, professional intervention capability. Holders of the Master of Food Safety degree will be qualified to perform the professional activity in the area of food production, processing, preservation and distribution, with special emphasis on food safety.
The provisions of this call apply to:
- Holders of a bachelor/master science degree, or legal equivalent, in the areas of Veterinary, Agricultural, Biological or Engineering sciences;
- Holders of a foreign higher education degree on veterinary sciences, agriculture sciences or biological sciences, conferred following a 1st cycle of studies organised following the principles of the Bologna process by countries adhering to this process;
- Holders of a foreign higher education degree, in the fields of veterinary, agricultural, biological or related sciences, recognised as meeting the objectives of the Master degree by the scientific committee of the study cycle;
- The professionals of Food Production, Processing, Preservation, Distribution and Trading sectors with an academic, scientific or professional curriculum, which demonstrates the ability to undertake the study program.
The legal equivalences are considered to be the degrees recognized under Decree-Law No. 66/2018 of 16 August, as well as degrees that have been recognized or considered equivalent under previous legislation.
Application Process information
The application is online (FenixEdu):
- If the applicant already has a FMV-ULisboa FenixEdu account or a Campus@Ulisboa account, with a student or ex-student record at FMV-ULisboa, access Fenix and login: https://fenix.fmv.ulisboa.pt/login
- If the applicant does not have an account on FMV-ULisboa FenixEdu, one must be created at: https://fenix.fmv.ulisboa.pt/accountCreation
- If the applicant has applied in previous years with local accounts or if the account password was forgotten, the applicant must recover their credentials on the link above in the “Credentials Recovery” section;
- If the applicant has a Campus account and a FMV student or ex-student record and needs to recover their password or username, the applicant must access the user webpage and on the Authentication menu must choose the option “Recover Access”: https//utilizadores.campus.ulisboa.pt/ULUsersApp/login
On the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine webpage ( menu <Study> <Master> <Master in Food Safety>), with the submission of the following documents:
- Identification document (Citizen Card, Identification Card, Passport, Residence title/permit);
- Photocopy of the official document containing tax identification number (if applicable);
- Certificate of academic degree;
- Document proving the rating scale used in the country of origin (if applicable);
- Curriculum vitae
The document referred to in point (c), and in the case of certificates obtained in non-Community countries, shall be endorsed by the consular office or presented with the affixing of The Hague Apostille by the competent authority of the State from which the document originates and, when not Portuguese, English, French or Spanish, must be translated into one of these languages.
Applicants must also prove adequate language skills to attend the course (mastery of Portuguese).
The application fee of 100 € must be paid through the ATM/MB network using the payment reference generated by the online application platform. For students residing abroad, the application fee can be paid by bank transfer.
The number of vacancies assigned for the 2021/2023 Edition ranges between 15 (minimum) and 40 (maximum).
The results of the application will be announced in a list published in the Faculty's web page in <Study> <Master> <Master in Food Safety>.
National or equivalent student: 1250€*
International student: 2500€**
- Payment of the annual attendance fee (tuition fee) can be made in 6 instalments
(*September 250€, November, January, March, May and July 200€)
(**September 500€, November, January, March, May and July 400€);
- Upon enrollment and registration, 20% of the total annual attendance fee (tuition fee) must be paid, plus the registration fee and school insurance.
- Registration will only be considered as definite after the presentment of the original or certified copies of the documents proving the identification and qualifications considered in the application process.
Profs. Rui Bessa and Maria João Fraqueza
Prof. Rui Bessa
Prof. Maria João Fraqueza
Prof. Virgílio Almeida
Prof. Marília Ferreira
Prof. Magda Aguiar Fontes
Prof. João Bettencourt Cota
|Branch of knowledge|
|Vegetable production and other food||2,0|
|Hygiene in food production and food processing||2,0|
|Nutrition and Dietetics||2,0|
|Consumer rights and obligations||1,5|
|Food Quality Legislation||2,0|
|Food Quality Control||3,0|
|Proactive methods in Food Safety||3,0|
|New food/new dietary concepts||2,0|
|Referential norms and integrated systems||3,5|
|Biosecurity and sanitary certification||3,0|
|Analysis and Management of Environmental Impact||3,0|
|Risk Analysis applied to Food Safety||2,0|
|3rd and 4th semesters|
The candidates may obtain further information in the Academic Services of the Faculty, according to the working schedule (9:00 am to 3:00 pm). Further information will be provided according to the defined calendar, published in the web page of the Faculty
Other information: please contact Master Science secretariat Mrs Maria Paula (firstname.lastname@example.org)